The vegetable, widespread in salads and salsas, is wealthy in chemical compounds that destroy tumour cells, say scientists.
And the discovery might quickly lead to an anti-cancer capsule based mostly on the meals’s magical properties.
It is recognized individuals with the very best consumption of onions have a decrease danger of many varieties of the disease – including ovarian, bowel and breast cancer .
They include several anti-cancer compounds together with quercetin and anthocyanins – which, crucially, give the purple variety their color.
Abdulmonem Murayyan, a PhD scholar on the University of Guelph in Canada, stated: “Anthocyanin is instrumental in providing color to vegatables and fruits.
“So it is sensible the pink onions, which are darkest in colour, would have probably the most most cancers preventing power.”
Within the first research of its type Mr Murayyan and engineering Professor Suresh Neethirajan found pink onions have the strongest most cancers preventing energy.
The vegetable has been used in mediterranean cooking for hundreds of years, which might assist clarify lower rates of the illness in southern Europe.
Diced in a aspect salad, sprinkled as a garnish or chopped by way of a pasta dish, they could simply be the most effective raw components you possibly can eat.
The researchers stated onions as a superfood are still not well-known, despite containing one of the highest concentrations of quercetin, a kind of flavonoid.
Other articles you might like;
- Colour-changing tattoo ink could help people with diabetes
- Scientists reveal THIS technique can make you lose 2.5st in four months – without dieting
- ‘Alexa, what’s my blood sugar level and how much insulin should I take?’
- The Truth Behind Common Apple Cider Vinegar Uses You've Likely Heard Before
- Eating red onions ‘can prevent cancer’ and could protect against diabetes and heart disease