According to the American College of Sports Medicine, treatment starts with an approach called PRICE, a variation of RICE, to limit swelling and speed healing.
“PRICE” steps include:
- Protect against any further injury.
- Restrict activity for 48 to 72 hours.
- Ice the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every 60 to 90 minutes.
- Compress the area with an elastic bandage or other compression aid.
- Elevate the injured area to minimize swelling.
The next stage usually includes gentle movement of the muscle or joint, mild resistance exercise, and a very gradual return to your favorite activity.