One of the fastest rising causes of blindness around the globe is an eye fixed illness that’s virtually totally preventable.
Diabetic retinopathy is a situation that occurs amongst diabetics when excessive blood sugar levels injury the retinal blood vessels, main to complete imaginative and prescient impairment over time. The illness is a menace to those who have lived with diabetes for years, however it may be detected early and handled if patients are commonly screened.
Unfortunately, in India, which is house to over 69 million diabetics (as of 2015), common eye examinations aren’t straightforward to return by, notably outdoors huge cities. While access to even basic healthcare is troublesome, the issue is compounded by a critical shortage of trained ophthalmologists. So, some 45% of patients endure from vision loss before they’re even recognized with diabetic retinopathy.
And that’s where artificial intelligence is available in.
Specialist docs are educated to diagnose the disease by analysing retinal pictures and in search of several types of lesions, akin to microaneurysms or haemorrhages, that can indicate its severity. Last yr, Google introduced that it had taught an image-recognition algorithm the best way to detect signs of diabetic retinopathy using a dataset of 128,000 retinal pictures. In subsequent exams with different pictures, the algorithm managed to perform on par with a panel of ophthalmologists.
Other articles you might like;
- Colour-changing tattoo ink could help people with diabetes
- Scientists reveal THIS technique can make you lose 2.5st in four months – without dieting
- ‘Alexa, what’s my blood sugar level and how much insulin should I take?’
- The Truth Behind Common Apple Cider Vinegar Uses You've Likely Heard Before
- Eating red onions ‘can prevent cancer’ and could protect against diabetes and heart disease